Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

It feels great being able to write again! I'm so excited to start blogging and tell all about my new and old adventures.

I love to spend my holidays relaxing and lounging. Whether its on the beach, at the movies or just lazing around on the couch at home-I always take my holiday time to rejuvenate and kick up my feet. Due to my braces and hatred of hot sticky weather-I don't celebrate the summer holidays with traditional BBQ feasts and outside festivities. Instead, I seek my joy inside of air-conditioned (or fanned) homes with great movies, chilled desserts and great conversation. As the sun sets, I'll venture outdoors to enjoy a great fireworks display.

In honor of the great Independence Day holiday this year, I decided to finally try out a couple of recipes I've been thinking about for awhile. I feel kinda guilty for spending today indoors watching the Ugly Betty marathon...but this is also a great excuse to get in the kitchen and cook!

I love finding and making fun non-alcoholic party drinks to enjoy at home and with friends, but somehow I've never made homemade lemonade!  The lemonade is perfect to serve in wine goblets or champagne flutes-regular cups are just too boring! You can also dress up glasses with lemon slices and blackberries, or decorate the rim with sugar.

Sparkling Blackberry Lemonade
Serves 4-6

1 six oz. package of blackberries (rinsed)
1 large lemon
1 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of sugar
1 cup tap/filtered water
1 33.8 oz. bottle of sparkling mineral water, chilled

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the water, sugar and lemon juice to a boil.  Set aside and let cool.
2. Slice the lemon into thin circles and add to the pitcher. Add the blackberries.
3. Stir in the sugar and lemon mixture. Pour the chilled mineral water into the pitcher and stir. Serve in glasses over ice or alone. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment